Sunday, March 7, 2010

New Year's Eve

The day before New Year's Eve. I was sledding up in the mountains outside of Denver. Nathan's brother lives in Conifer. My first and only run was awesome. I flew down the 200-250 feet snow covered mountain. My brother-in-law told everyone if you make it all the way to the creek then it is a good run. I made it all the way to the frozen creek sitting on my sled, but the last three bumps did me in. I think it was the second bump that I got a little air underneath me and came down very hard. I compressed my spine. Did not know until a week later that I had actually fractured my T-12 vertebrae.

Still made it to Wes Greer's wedding. Did not stay for the reception or get to enjoy all the fireworks that were shot from the tops of the buildings in downtown Denver through the evening. Heard them at midnight from our hotel, but our window faced the wrong direction. :(

I slowly made it back to work two weeks later after two MRIs. The first comment out of the tech's mouth after the second MRI was "Yep, you really did some damage on that sled." I am weaning from a brace now after being in it for a month. Found out when I got to the doctor's office the following Monday that I actually broke the T-5 vertebrae as well.

No comments: